Just an abstract doodle.
For OBOMD I created a character for mascot, and created 3 bumper videos. Characteranimation by Carin Huurnink, design, modeling, fur, shading, rendering and post by me.
Back to Characteranimation
After a lot of compositing and greenscreenwork, I worked on a good oldfashioned 3D animation project. I was asked to create a mascotte for OBOMD, a dutch schoolorganisation. So I went back to the drawingdesk, and brainstormed all kinds of fluffy monsters.
I had about two weeks to complete 3 short bumpers. I did all the 3D modeling in Luxology’s modo 601. As concepts for the animations came in, the list of objects I had to model slowly grew.
The character animation was done by Carin Huurnink. All conceptdesign, modelling, texturing, fur, lighting and compositing was done by me.
The fur proved to be a challenge to get done in time, but after the first animation I settled on a faster and more predictable workflow. Having to push out these animations in a really short time learned me a great bunch of fur tricks.
I look forward do to some more characterwork like this.
Today the short film Yim & Yoyo aired on national television channel Nederland 3. The film, one in a series of 6 shorts called Nu of Nooit! for Zapp, KRO and Mediafonds, premiered in Amsterdam last Sunday in theater EYE.
It was an honor to have participated in the making of this short(as the on set VFX supervisor, see this earlier post for pictures), and hope to someday work with the crew on other projects in the future.
You can now watch the show here.
Some stills whilst laying the last hands on the trailer.
Nuke Lensflare script
Remember the NUKE lensflare script that I built and shared before?
A talented compositor named Nicholas Daniels contacted me, and asked for permission to use it in a neat lensflare tool called nFlare. It has all kinds of good stuff, like buttons to create the elements you want, and dive into each of them to change them.
It’s still very much a first release, but I like where it’s going. It currently has one complete lensflare preset, but I expect this will grow in the near future as the node matures. It currently still runs a bit flakey when doing a lot at the same time, as the tool basically triggers different scripts for NUKE to execute, but it totally works.
Get nFlare_v1 for free, here on Nukepedia.
On set effects supervision Yim & Jojo
This week I did set supervision of effects for a dutch short movie(about 25 minutes) called Yim & Jojo. The movie is aimed at younger, pre-teens, and directed by Anna van Keimpema for Volt Films.
The movie tells the story of a boy named Yim, who’s often home alone and doesn’t have many friends. His best friend is imaginary panda bear Jojo, with whom he has a lot of adventures. When a new girl joins his class, he has the opportunity of making a real friend, but he will have to let go of Jojo.
The movie was shot by D.P. Lonneke Worm on RED Epic, with Cooke Panchro lenses.
Yim’s imaginary friend Jojo and his dreamworld will all be added in post. The on set crew was about 25 people, and it was a really great experience to get to know all these people and work with them.
The movie will air on national broadcast TV, channel Nederland 3, at the end of the year.
Last three days were three crazy setdays. 1 day prepping, 2 days shooting. 3 very long, but very rewarding days. Shootingdays started 8 AM. Last day I ended up shooting distortion grids at 1:30 AM.
We used the Sony F3 with 3 Zeiss primes. The Sony F3 was a joy to shoot with. We had no problems whatsoever. I was doing datamanagement, emptying CF-Cards and making triple backups of the data, while cameraman Erik Nauta filled up the other.
Because the acoustics of the studio weren’t perfect, and actors with helmets had a hard time in them, the audio’s going to be ADR. We only recorded referencesound. The fact that you don’t see any mouths under the helmets makes it a lot easier.
Now, the shooting has been done, but we aren’t nearly finished. Every single shot in the film is going to be an effects shot. Every environment is going to be digital. All we had was a few props that we’ll have to blend in. Some props will have get digitally replaced. For example in cases where the actors put so much force on the props that exposes the prop to not be as solid as should be. But we’ll figure it all out in the coming weeks.
The crew was great, got to know some great new people. Really hope to work with these people again sometime.